Over the past year or so I have written a few post on my blog on the importants of fish oil for joint mobility, recovery and overall heart health. I have recompiled them here along with a new article written by Brooke Bouis, MS
Fish Oil Enhances Strength Training and Muscle Recovery
Here’s my compiled info on fish oil…
First, I’d like to make it clear that I have no affiliation with strongerfasterhealtheier (SFH) nor do I receive any endorsement or compensation for recommending their fish oil product. I’m simply writing to let you know that I believe they have a superior fish oil product, period. Like the title says “SFH Fish Oil is Rockin” If after reading this, you are convinced that this product may be for you, you can purchase it direct from SFH or CFBF at the box.
The good… the bad… and the fishy… I was never really one for taking any fish oil supplements at all. It always seemed to me, a unnecessary supplement, that my body didn’t need. The thought of taking the large pills or gel caps or having to ingest that god awful oily liquid crud, was the furthest thing from my mind. Then I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. After my high blood pressure diagnosis, my thoughts on fish oil changed somewhat. So, I thought I’d give the old fish oil caps from wallyworld a try. You know the ones, they come in that super huge bottle, with pills the size of an un-shelled peanut, with instructions to take two caps, two to three times a day? So, I prodded down the road, taking the recommend dosage, running out, getting a nother bottle here and there. You know the drill, never really staying consistent with them. Turns out the recommended dosage, based on the EPA & DCA levels in those caps, were way, way, way off on the low side… read on and find out why?
At the prodding of Kevin Penner, owner of CrossFit by BodyFit, about 6 months back, telling me “you need to be taking fish oil as part of your daily diet and WOD recover plan”, He pointed me this Article by Robb Wolf on the fish oil facts… Kevin provided the motivation and Robb provided the whys, how much, and all the importance factors.
I then used his Robb Wolf’s Fish Oil Calculator to accurately calculate my required dosage. I was shocked to find out, that the correct dosage my body needed, required me to take about 18 to 24 pills a day of the wallyworld pills I was taking! 24 pills, holy cow, that’s a lot of pill swallowing! It’s easy to see that choking down that many pills, is not only a royal pain in the butt, but also very time-consuming, not easy on the throat, and, well, not very cost-effective!
Enter strongerfasterhealthier fish oil… this fish oil has the most potent levels of both EPA and DHA on the market bar none! This in turn translates into the need (for me) to simply take 2 to 4 teaspoons daily (I opt for 4tsp daily, 2 after breakfast and 2 after din din). For most, it would be simply be 2tsp a day, that’s it! Yeah, no more 24 pills a day! I know, your probably saying, “Brent, I’ve been down the fish oil road before”, “I’ve tried the oils, found them to be fishy tasting, leaving me with the dreaded, yucky tasting, stay with you for hours ”fish burps”. Well, I’m standing before you today, to tell you what a difference the SFH fish oil has made for me. Not only has my CrossFit WOD performance been enhanced, I have had a very noticeable, reduced, recovery, while taking this oil. Plus for me, no more ”fish burps”! The SFH fish oil comes in five different flavors, mint, chocolate, tangerine, vanilla, & lemon. By far, the Tangerine is the best tasting IMO! For me, no fish taste and no FISH BURPS, increased performance and decreased recovery time! It’s a win-win supplement because not only are getting the benefits I just mentioned, but you receiving all the heart-healthy benefits too!
I strongly suggest that you get your Crossfittin, Paleo hands on this fish oil and add it to your daily life! You will notice a huge difference in your performance, recovery and overall life & health! I did!
Independent tests prove StrongerFasterHealthier has the best Omega-3 oils available in North America – without a prescription.
Omega-3 is a natural anti-inflammatory agent. Chronic inflammation is connected to an array of diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, heart failure, cancer, etc. The importance of taking the correct dosage of Omega-3 oils cannot be overstated.
In short, our Omega-3 oils have:
- Zero after fish burp, zero fish taste
- The correct dosage and potency strength to ensure maximum health benefits you would need to take 6-30 capsules of a competitor’s product to get our same dosage
- Super fast absorption: Omega liquid oil formulation optimizes absorption efficiency and allows omega-3 fats to compete with the omega-6 bad fats.
- Very competitive pricing
Directions: Take one dose of 2 teaspoons daily. Product may also be mixed with your favorite smoothie, used in salad oils or other food products. Store in refrigerator after opening and use within 6 months. 45 calories per teaspoon. Container is one month supply.
This is the one supplement you really should be taking! There are so many benefits that fish oil provides that by not taking the oil, in some form, you may very well be limiting your life performance.
Here’s some great FAQ’s from SFH
General benefits of fish oil:
- Heart – By helping reduce the risk of arrhythmias and sudden death by a heart attack.
- Brain – Better brain function though more efficient neurotransmitters leading to improved concentration, memory, less likelihood of depression and reduced risk of ADHD in children.
- Cholesterol & Triglycerides – By lowering triglycerides and help balancing your cholesterol.
- Joints & Arthritis – Better joint function from reduced inflammation and a reduction in pain.
- Skin & Beauty – Improves the health and appearance of your skin, helps keep nails strong, as well as your hair healthy and shiny.
- Immune System & Cancer – A stronger immune system, proven to be beneficial for the body’s immune function, lowered risk of breast and prostate cancer.
- Vision – Improved focus, colour, perception and clarity of vision. (I will be exploring fish oil and vision in a new post in the very near future).
- Digestive System – By improving intestinal health and reducing inflammation assisting those with IBS or Crohn’s Disease.
- Allergies – Omega-3 fatty acid intake by mothers during pregnancy may protect babies against the development of allergies. It may help people with existing allergies.
- Diabetes – Fish oil enhances insulin secretion from beta cells in the pancreas, regulating blood sugar levels. DHA plays a protective role in diabetic neuropathy in all forms of diabetes.
For all those considering supplementing with fish oil (pills or liquid) or if you are already taking fish oil as a supplement. Be sure to calculate your dose correctly.
The calculator below is an easy method for calculating your daily dose of Omega-3 fish oil, as outlined by Robb Wolf in his Paleo Solution book, podcasts and seminars.
Use this fish oil Calculator Fish Oil Calculator
This calculator allows the user to enter his/her weight and EPA and DHA off the product being used (found on the back chart of the bottle of pills or oil) and it will calculate the amount of pills or tsp of oil you should be taking. Remember, the suggested use on most pill forms of fish oil is way off (usually under) as the pill form is not as potent in DHA and EPA as it’s counter part, the oil form is.
Ok, some of you may already know this or be doing this already? Thought it was a great little tid-bit worth passing on for those using fish oil. We have saved our medicine tops. You know the ones from Nyquil or various caugh syrups? These cups are great for taking fish oil as most have the measurements right on them for tsp and ml! Plus they clean up for easy use again and again. Hope this helps?